Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Ode to my Job - You Don't Have the Keys to My Heart

I'm gonna get caught one day, I'm sure!

Such an interesting relationship I have with my co-workers.  Every day at lunch time, I grab my bag and quickly, quietly head out to lunch where I eat and write during my break.  Alone, every single day.  For some reason, I feel like I’m sneaking around… cheating on my work with my laptop.  Sure people see me sneaking out, but no one says anything.  Kind of like a ‘don’t ask don’t tell’ situation, where they never ask me what I’m doing and I don’t have to give a silly BS answer to the question as most cheaters will do when confronted.
My co-workers see me with my brown leather bag slung over my shoulder and give a double-take to me (and my bag where the laptop is hiding until we can freely express ourselves) as I slink to the elevator, making a point to not speak to anyone unless absolutely necessary.  I fully expect someone to ask me, “So, what are you doin’ with your bag everyday?” as it gives the appearance of leaving for the day, every day.  I'm sure they’d want to avoid my standard answer of “I’m doing something that has nothing to do with you.”  Instead folks will ask, “So… you’re going to lunch?” to which I’d respond, “Yes,” as I continue to walk quickly off the floor before the next volley comes my way.
It kind of feels like I’m hiding from them or I’m being anti-social, as people will mention ordering lunch and ask me am I interested.  My response of course is “no,” as I purposefully leave off the remaining portion of the answer which would be “I have a book to finish writing.”
Once the book is done I’ll let them all in, but until that time… STONEWALL.

No comments:

Post a Comment